Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mama Don't Take My Kodachrome Away


When I first got seriously into photography as a spoiled an only child, my first serious camera was a Canon FT-QL with a 50mm f1.4 lens. It was my eighth grade graduation present. I still have it.


In the meanwhile, Kodak has 86d Kodachrome.

There's a stack of slides circa 1968 with a lot of experimentation using Kodachrome. Long night exposures of backyard flowers using a small aperture and a flashlight, intentional oversaturation, some blurs on purpose.....

I want a drop in 35mm gizmo to allow me the benefit of the old, comfortable optics, but that may be a while. Of course, I might need a caddy to carry the damn thing around.

But, I did find an Adobe plug-in in a quick search at DxO FilmPack that might do the trick with my wee digital camera. All sorts of simulated films (about 50). For Open Source, GIMP offers Silicosaur PhotoFX

Memo: Ephemeralization. All kit is a lathe.
PS: A nice article at Wired on the The Cheap Russian Camera That Could: Lomo Turns 25 also contains some nice tweaks of lens and film effects.

No comments :